Ref Number: 00433
Ref Number: 00433
The construction of Yaverland battery commenced in 1861, with the purpose of establishing a coastal defensive battery equipped with 7-inch R.B.L. cannons. The battery was fortified with a Carnot wall including loopholes, as well as a surrounding ditch that had musketry caponiers. The lodging was intended to accommodate two policemen and a group of 57 individuals. In 1879, the 7-inch Rifled Breech-loading guns (RB:s) were substituted with 64-pounder Rifled Muzzle-loading guns (RMLs). Furthermore, in 1887, two of the 64-pounder guns were removed to create a transversal gunnery position. This alteration aimed to provide coverage and prevent enemy ships from attacking the battery from the Culver Cliff perspective.
In the 1890s, the installation of two 6-inch guns took place. Subsequently, a rearmament initiative occurred in the late 1890s, with the incorporation of 6-inch B.L. mark VII cannons. Additionally, two search lights were installed, with one positioned at the eastern end of the battery and the other located atop Sandown Fort. In the year 1910, it was determined that one of the 6-inch guns would be designated as a reserve weapon. Subsequently, in 1915, this particular cannon was relocated to Inchkeith Island situated in the Firth of Forth. During the period spanning from 1914 to 1915, many supplementary structures were incorporated into the existing ensemble. Subsequently, in the 1920s, two more searchlights were installed at water level to facilitate nocturnal training exercises. In 1932, it was widely believed that the battery’s operational lifespan had reached its conclusion, leading to plans for the evacuation of the guns and the subsequent relegation of the battery to a state of practicality.
During the Second World War, the battery served the purpose of Home Guard and coastal defence. However, in 1943, two 6-inch Mark VII guns were installed, thereby reactivating the battery as a fully functional unit. In the year 1951, two 3.7-inch anti-aircraft guns were employed for the purpose of coastal artillery training exercises.
The facility underwent decommissioning and was subsequently transferred into private ownership in 1956. While a significant portion of the battery was removed, many components have endured and may still be observed today. Nevertheless, access to the site is restricted to individuals who have obtained prior approval in order to conduct a review.