Search Result
By Category
Show on Map
Moment in time
On the map

History Manor Houses of the Isle of Wight

Appleford Manor

REF NR: 432

"APPLEFORD (Apleford, Apledeforde, xi cent.; Appeltreford, xiii cent.; Appulderford, xiv cent.) was divided as it is now into East (or Upper) and West Appleford so far back as the time of the Great Survey, when Robert held 1 hide of William son of Stur and Edwi, the king's thegn, held the other estate. The part held under William son of Stur appears to have been West Appleford, and was held of William's descendants at the end of the 13th century.

"Under the lords of Gatcombe the estate was held by the lords of Whitefield, whose mesne lordship was recognized at least as late as the middle of the 14th century. Land at West Appleford was conveyed by Oliver de Lisle to Gilbert de Oskrewell (Coskevile) in 1271–2, but the chief estate at West Appleford was probably the 55 solidates of land granted in the following year by William de Tracy, lord of Whitefield, to Thomas de Godshill and John de Lisle. John de Lisle was in possession in 1299, and the estate from that time seems to have followed the same descent as the more important holding of East Appleford.

"East Appleford was conveyed in 1275–6 by Simon Everard to Richard Ammys, but it passed shortly afterwards to John de Lisle. It was held of the honour of Carisbrooke, and followed the same descent as Wootton (q.v.) until the beginning of the 17th century. Sir William Lisle, kt., granted the 'site of the manor of Appleford' in 1631 to John Fitchett, the manor itself having previously been disposed of to the Worsley family and settled in 1610 on the issue of the marriage of Sir Richard Worsley, bart., with Frances daughter of Sir Henry Neville. It passed with Appuldurcombe until the middle of the 18th century, when it was purchased by Mr. William Pike, from whom it descended with Luccombe to the Bonham, Carter, and Atherley families. Both Upper and Lower Appleford were held by Sir John Carter in the early part of the 19th century, and are now owned by Mr. John G. Harvey."

- Source:


Further local information is needed on this manor, so please get in touch if you can help.