Search Result
By Category
Show on Map
Moment in time
On the map

History Historic Churches / Abbey / Priory / Monastery

St Helen's C of E Church, St. Helens

REF NR: 195

The church was built originally in 1717 and was rebuilt in 1831 and the chancel in 1862.

The original church of St. Helens was in a bad state as far back as the 16th century, according to the presentment of George Oglander, the centoner of St. Helens. By the 18th century it had become so ruinous that a new church was built in 1717 about a mile inland, and the old church allowed to go to ruin, the tower, a 13th-century structure, only being left standing. The tower about the same time was supported by brickwork and formed into a seamark.

 

HELP