Ghostly Goings On

 

APPULDURCOMBE HOUSE
Wroxall This handsome haunted mansion with its 365 windows and 52 rooms is now a shell of its former self. The ghosts however, remain. They include a phantom carriage, brown-clad monks, dark shapes glimpsed flitting through the grounds. A baby's cry is heard, and unseen hands regularly leaf through pages of the visitors' book.
 
CARISBROOKE CASTLE
For more than nine centuries Carisbrooke Castle has stood firm against attack, but within its stone walls and Keep, its ghosts roam. In the famous well-house where donkeys work the wooden treadwheel, the face of a long-dead girl, Elizabeth Ruffin, who drowned in the160ft deep well, has been seen. A mysterious figure in a long cloak, with four dainty lap dogs, walks the castle grounds, while the ghost of a young man wearing brown jerkin and trousers is seen near the moat. Other phantoms include a Victorian lady in grey, a Royal Princess and a presence in the Castle gatehouse.
 
THE LONGSTONE
Mottistone Long associated with the supernatural, this13ft high standing stone and its flat companion stone have been used by Celts, Romans and Saxons. Its origins are unknown, but the village of Mottistone takes its name from this moteres stan, the stone of the speakers. Today witchcraft and occult rituals are said to be performed there, and white witches have performed a ceremony there to cleanse the Longstone of its evil aura.
 
'BACK OF THE WIGHT' BEACHES
By day the beaches of Compton, Blackgang, Brook and Atherfield are the haunt of sun worshippers, but as the sun goes down, those same beaches take on a darker and more sinister aspect. Smugglers, wreckers, cut-throats and pirates once made that treacherous coastline their own, and today, on those lonely beaches local anglers don't fish alone after dark. A running figure dressed all in black, an unseen presence, whose footsteps are heard crunching over the shingle, and the ghost of a drowned seaman, wearing a long black jacket, sailor's cap and boots, who walks out of the sea, are some of the reasons why anglers prefer to have company when fishing at the 'Back of the Wight' at night.
 
CASTLE INN, NEWPORT
The Castle Inn is the oldest public house in Newport. Licensed since 1550, it was rebuilt after a fire in 1684. In ancient times the inn was within Castlehold, a lawless and notorious haunt of criminals and ruffians. This historic hostelry, which was licensed by Royal warrant for cock fighting, boasts Royal connections, a secret passageway, and as befits a l7th century coaching inn, it also has a fine selection of beers, wines, spirits - and many ghosts! One is often up and about in the early hours of the morning. His peculiar tuneless whistle is heard between 2am and 3am coming from the old stables; for the ghostly whistler is said to be an ostler - a stable lad or groom - who hanged himself in the old hayloft in the 1600s.
 
THE PUB THAT VANISHED
(open to the public - if you can find it!)
One dark November night two Island men set out from Newtown on what became the strangest night of their lives. They came upon a pub - the Falcon or the Vulcan - where they shared a drink with some unsociable spirits. The drab bar felt unwelcoming and cold. Hostile eyes turned towards the two strangers and all conversation ceased. The men drank up quickly and left. The strange old-fashioned pub, which was along a narrow lane somewhere between Newtown and Calbourne, has never been seen again. Despite repeated attempts to find it, and neither the lane nor ghostly pub has ever been found.

NEWBRIDGE - HANGING MAN

It was in October 1928 that a young girl was walking home from Shalfleet where she had stayed late at school. She was a country girl and was not unused to walking the surrounding lanes in the dark, but this particular night she would soon change her mind. It was at the crossroads that she noticed the signpost looked different than usual and being slightly afraid she decided to have a closer look but her fear soon turned to horror when she saw that what was normally a signpost was now a gibbet with the body of a man hanging form it. She could see that his head was held tight in the noose and the rope was parting a head of shoulder length curly hair. He had a beard and was dressed in what looked like a dark coloured cloak.

GHOST SHIP

Off Dunnose Head  it is often said the screams of the  drowing men can be heard as th ghost ship is often seen sailing off the point and is believed to be HMS Eurydice which sank in heavy seas on 24 March 1878 with a loss of over 300 lives. So on a foggy winters night make sure you not walikng the dog alone along the seafront at Sandown Bay as eirie things happen.

 

ASHEY DOWN

The weather was cold and visibility was good and as they neared the top of Ashey Down Mrs White spotted lights which suddenly appeared in the middle of a lonely part of the downs, realising that the nearest building, a farmhouse was some miles away her husband told her that it was probably a farmer looking for his sheep.

But all around them were the lights and halfway down a long hill they came upon more lights in the fields to their right. They were so intrigued that they stopped the car and sat looking at thousands of the lights. There was a lane they remembered that led off to the right and this now looked like a proper road that seemed to have street lights and seemed to lead to a built up area that was lit up with lights of every colour imaginable. The sky was darkening as clouds drifted across the moon.......  A tall figure waring a lkerkin and leather belt dashed across in front of the Car... people with torches were racing around from one side and another... By this time Dr White and his Wife had had enough they turned the car around adn headed for the sanctuary of the Hare and Hounds and their friend. Whether they had witnessed something that had happened many years ago or whether they  had imagined the whole thing has yet to be prove.

 

BILLINGHAM MANOR

Is the setting behind a legend of duelling lovers. Though this one carries a mortal sting in its tail. Billingham was reputed as the most haunted house on the island when Sir Shane Leslie rented it in 1928, but strange as it may seem none of the apparitions was thought to be malevolent. According to tradition the fair lady of the Billingham was wooed and won by a gentleman of culture and refinement. Some time later appeared another suitor, rich, young and handsome, who successfully pursued the lady. A duel was arranged between the two lovers as neither would surrender to the other. And the consquence was that the younger man won, killing the older man with a thrust of his sword. But the lady and her new lover did not enjoy much happiness for he was shortly afterwards drowned while crossing to France. The beautiful widow grew wizened and ugly and no other suitors came for her hand in marriage. She lived the rest of her life in remorse and even after death could find no peace.

 

 

HELP