Ref Number: 00506
Ref Number: 00506
Wolverton, known as Ulwartone in the 11th century and Wolveton in the 13th century, was in the ownership of Eddeva, who was associated with Earl Godwine, prior to the Norman Conquest. Subsequently, in 1086, Wolverton came under the possession of the reigning monarch. During the late 13th century, Robert Glamorgan possessed the demesne of Carisbrooke Castle. Wolverton remained under the ownership of the Glamorgans, who were also the lords of Brook (as referenced in the relevant literature), until the passing of Nicholas Glamorgan in the year 1362-1363.
Nicholas had sisters who were also his co-heirs. One of these sisters, named Nichola, entered into matrimony with Thomas Haket. Eleanor, who was identified as the second co-heir of Nicholas, entered into matrimony with Peter de Veer. Their child, John, became involved in a legal dispute in 1383 against John Mortaine and his wife Alice about the rightful possession of one-eighth of the Wolverton estate. It appears that Peter de Veer has granted Nichola Glamorgan the rights to the property.
Given that John and Alice have used their right to protect her son Walter Haket, it may be inferred that Nichola has ceded her ownership to them. The lawsuit was delayed due to Walter’s status as a youngster, and it appears that John Mortaine maintained ownership until at least 1397. In addition, another portion of the manor was transferred to John Roucle or Rookley, along with Brook. By 1431, both John Roucle and John Haket possessed the land jointly, as Mortaine’s share had gone back to Haket prior to 1428.
According to historical records, it has been documented that John Haket was reputedly the exclusive owner of the manor in the year 1438. Subsequently, the ownership of the manor, along with a portion of Brook, was transferred to his daughter Joan, who was married to John Gilbert. In 1565, George Gilbert, the grandson of the previous owner, transferred ownership of the manor to Anthony Dillington. Shortly thereafter, in the same year, Anthony Dillington sold the manor to John, the son of Richard Worsley.
The property thereafter continued to be associated with Appuldurcombe until 1848, at which point it was acquired by Sir Graham Eden Hamond.”