Ref Number: 00119
Ref Number: 00119
By 1861, Ventnor had its railway terminus and was considered one of the greatest locations to visit in England for one’s health and welfare as part of the big Victorian tourism drive. In order to provide Ventnor with a Pier Promenade and a safe refuge for fishermen during bad weather, the Ventnor and Pier and Harbour Company was established in the hopes of reaping financial benefits.
One pier would extend out into the water for 300 feet due south and then 100 feet due east (Blue), while the second pier would run for 700 feet due south and 300 feet due west along the quay (Red). By doing so, a tiny artificial harbour may be formed between them, providing protection for the fishing fleet from adverse conditions.
However, a major storm in 1864 severely damaged both piers, and the business lacked the resources to make the necessary repairs. The piers were finally declared unsafe and demolished.
Please take into account that at this time, the pier’s outlines are only educated guesses, and that we are actively seeking confirmation.
Reported in the Isle of Wigh Observer Saturday November 2 1861
The undertaking now proposed consists of a Breakwater forming a Pier and Quay, commencingat the Lion Rock and extending over the ledge of Rocks betweenthat and the Bean Rock, terminating on the latter: and at about 700 feet to the eastward a similar Breakwater, forming a Pier and Quay is also proposed. Between the ends of the Breakwaters will be a channel 200 feet wide, thus providing a good entrance to the capaciousHarbour ebclosed by the Breakwaters, having a depth at low water of nine feet, and at high water of eighteen feet, and sheltered from all weathers.