Ref Number: 00505
Ref Number: 00505
“STENBURY (Staneberie, xi cent.; Stevenbir, xiii cent.; la Stenybury, xiv cent.) was held by Cheping of King Edward as a free manor and in 1086 belonged to the king. According to Worsley, the ownership of the property was attributed to the de Aula family, however by the end of the century, it was under the possession of John de Heyno, who held it as part of the honour of Carisbrooke. In the year 1295, John passed away, so bequeathing his lineage to his son and rightful successor, William. During the time of Edward III, Peter de Heyno held the title of lord of Stenbury. Additionally, it is recorded that John de Heyno passed away in the year 1349 while in possession of the manor. In the year 1375, William de Heyno, the offspring of John, passed away, so bequeathing his possessions to his son and rightful successor, Guy. Following Guy’s demise in 1405, his properties were bestowed upon Anthony Ricz, who assumed guardianship during the period of minority of the designated heir.
During the years 1428 and 1431 appears to have been owned by a John de Heyno, as shown by the available evidence. Thomas Heyno, an individual who was granted clemency for committing treason in the year 1451, passed away in 1505, leaving behind a total of five daughters. The youngest sibling, Grace, was perceived as intellectually challenged, and as a result, the inheritance of the Stenbury manor was distributed among the remaining four sisters. Mary, the eldest sibling, entered into matrimony with William Pound. Tragically, her son Anthony passed away in 1547, leaving behind a son named Richard. Upon Richard’s demise without any offspring, it appears that his portion was transferred to his sister Honora, who was married to Henry Radclyffe, the Earl of Sussex. Eventually, Honora’s son Robert sold the aforementioned portion to Thomas Worsley.
Elizabeth, one of Thomas Heyno’s daughters, entered into matrimony with William Stour and subsequently, it seems, with Richard Dowce. In 1533-4, Richard and Elizabeth transferred their share to John Welbeck and other individuals, who maybe served as trustees for Sir James Worsley. Agnes, the second offspring of Thomas Heyno, entered into matrimony with Thomas Wyker or Wyer. In 1565, her portion was transferred to John Worsley by Stephen Garrat, who had wedded the descendant of Thomas Wyer. Katherine, the fourth co-heiress, entered into matrimony with John Pound as her first spouse, and subsequently wedded William Leek as her second husband. It is likely that the Worsleys also acquired her portion.
At the time of Richard Worsley’s demise in 1565, he had residential properties and land in Stenbury, as well as a tenement known as Saindon, which formed part of the manor. Subsequently, at the passing of his brother John Worsley in 1580, three quarters of the manor were under his ownership. The aforementioned portion of the estate was obtained by Thomas Worsley, the son of John. Subsequently, the ownership of the manor was passed down via the lineage of Appuldurcombe until it was ultimately sold by Lord Yarborough during the mid-19th century. Currently, the ownership of the entity in question has been transferred to Mr. John C. Tompkins.