Ref Number: 0012
Ref Number: 0012
The Brading Roman Villa on the Isle of Wight is one of Britain’s greatest Romano-British archaeological sites. The Roman Villa has an extensive collection of Roman artifacts, including ceramics, coins, and tools, as well as superbly preserved mosaic floors. This provides tourists with a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to see magnificent artifacts from Roman life.
In 1879, Captain Thorp of Yarbridge began searching for Roman artifacts in the fields surrounding Morton Farm. Mr Munns, a nearby farmer, later aided him. Farmer Munns was using an iron rod to create holes in the earth to secure the uprights of a sheep enclosure when he struck the Bacchus Mosaic floor. After informing Captain Thorp, they went to work and by the following morning had discovered the Gallus panel. The Gallus panel, which depicts a ‘cock-headed guy’ (see image below), is a distinctive aspect of these mosaics. This is supposed to be a parody of Emperor of the Eastern Roman Empire Caesar Gallus (251-253CE), whose name translates from Latin as ‘cock’.
By the following spring, more than half of the Roman Villa had been unearthed on Mr Munn’s property. The rest of the villa extended past Munn’s farm and onto the Oglander Estate. Intrigued, Lady Louisa Oglander acquired the entire property to continue the archaeology.
For many years, the Oglander estate was open to the public; however, it was finally given over to a charity trust, which extensively invested in transforming it into a tourist destination with an award-winning Exhibition and Visitor Centre.
Mosaics, many exquisite mosaics can be seen in the center; a visit to see these wonderful creations is well worth it.