Ref Number: 0077
Ref Number: 0077
The station was once known by the name Haven Street; on June 9, 1958, the name was changed to what it is known as now, Havenstreet. The first version of the station consisted of little more than a single platform. Later on, a siding was built in order to supply service to a small gasworks that was situated directly across from the station. This was accomplished by constructing the siding. The siding was still in use even after the gasworks ceased operations in the 1920s, despite the fact that the gasworks had closed. A completely new crossing loop, which ran immediately behind the platform, was installed by the Southern Railway in July of 1926. This crossing loop was located right behind the station. Approximately around this time period, the original station buildings were taken down and dismantled. Brick was used to construct a fresh new building that was placed next to the railway.
The station, which at the time of this writing houses the administrative offices of the Isle of Wight Steam Railway, didn’t reopen for business again until 1971. The building, maintenance, and operation of steam-ups and special open days organised throughout the year to celebrate the golden age of steam are all the responsibility of an enthusiastic group of volunteers.
The most significant stop on the line is located at Havenstreet, which is why the present route goes all the way from Wootton to get there. After there, it proceeds to the Smallbrook station by means of the historic Ashey halt in between those two stops. At this station, travellers travelling on the Electric line from Ryde to Shanklin may switch to other trains travelling on that route.