Ref Number: 00502
Ref Number: 00502
Presently, the building stands as a mere semblance, however it continues to embody the grandeur of an estate house constructed in the 18th Century Baroque architectural style. Its construction commenced in 1701, supplanting the previous Tudor-style abode that occupied the premises at that era. The location of the estate is aesthetically situated within the undulating hills, rendering it a formidable and awe-inspiring backdrop, having served as the ancestral residence of the Worsley family for a span exceeding three centuries.
The construction of the home was begun by Sir Robert Worlsey in 1701; but, it took an additional seven decades for his great nephew, Sir Richard, to ultimately accomplish the undertaking. Sir Richard was furthermore accountable for the recruitment of the renowned Capability Brown to undertake the task of landscaping the surroundings. Furthermore, several monuments and gates were constructed with the intention of bestowing upon the estate an atmosphere of magnificence and refinement.
Sir Richard passed away in 1805, and thereafter, the house remained unaltered for an additional century under the ownership of the 1st Baron of Yarborough. The subsequent occupants made few modifications to the property, which briefly served as a hotel and college for young gentlemen following the loss of the 1st Baron.
During a brief period in the early 20th century, the residence temporarily provided shelter for a group of Benedictine monks who were compelled to vacate their lodgings in France. Throughout both World Wars, the home served as a billet for troops stationed on the Island, awaiting further deployment. In the year 1943, an incident occurred during a nocturnal military operation, whereby it is postulated that a German aircraft, while returning to its base, intentionally discarded its payload, resulting in the detonation of a land mine in close proximity to a residential dwelling. This event resulted in significant structural harm to the aforementioned house.
Appuldercombe House is now in private ownership and has been saved from demolition and development and is open to the public as a Heritage Site.