Ref Number: 00501
Ref Number: 00501
Alverstone, also known as Alvrestone in the 11th century, Alfricheston and Aluredeston in the 13th century, Alvredeston in the 14th century, and Auverstone in the 16th century, was a location that had a mill valued at 40d. This property was owned by William, the son of Stur, both prior to and during the Norman Conquest. The exercise of supreme authority continued to be held by Gatcombe until at least the conclusion of the 13th century. In the late 13th century, William de Aumarle was in possession of a fee located at Alverstone. The individual in question perished away in the years 1288-9, leaving behind a male offspring named Geoffrey. However, it appears that the ownership of the manor transitioned to Iseult de Aumarle, who is likely to have been William’s surviving spouse. Geoffrey de Insula (Lisle) of Gatcombe was united in matrimony with the aforementioned individual, and historical records indicate that he is documented as the possessor of this estate throughout the period of 1293-1294, as a result of his association with her. Geoffrey de Aumarle’s demise occurred within the years 1320-1321, however, there is no evidence to suggest that he was in possession of the manor at the time of his passing.
Geoffrey’s offspring, namely his son William, possessed it until his demise in the years 1335-1336, at which point it was inherited by his own son, also named William. William, the male offspring, passed away without producing any offspring. In contrast, his sister and co-heir, Elizabeth, entered into matrimony with John Maltravers of Hooke, located in the county of Dorset. From this union, they bore a daughter named Elizabeth. In 1402, the individual in question entered into matrimony with Sir Humphrey Stafford of Southwick, assuming the role of her second spouse. Consequently, they jointly held ownership of the manor. Elizabeth, the daughter of Elizabeth and John Maltravers, entered into matrimony with Sir Humphrey Stafford, the son of her mother’s second spouse. Consequently, the ownership of the manor of Alverstone stayed within the Stafford lineage until the untimely demise of Sir Humphrey Stafford, who held the title of Earl of Devon, in the year 1469.
The estate of Alverstone was transferred to Eleanor Strangways, one of the co-heirs of its previous owner. Subsequently, in 1556, Sir Giles Strangways, the grandson of Eleanor Strangways, sold Alverstone to Henry Stower. In 1587, the sale of the item was conducted by John Stower to Peter Fuller. In 1597, Peter transferred ownership of the item to Richard Baskett of Apse. Later, in 1630, Richard’s son, also named Richard, acquired it from Daniel Broad. It is worth noting that Sir John Oglander referred to Daniel Broad as ‘a pedlar’s son in Newport’ in a derogatory manner. The marital union between Grace Broad and Alexander Alchorne resulted in the birth of a daughter named Grace. The specific nature of Grace Broad’s relationship to Daniel remains undisclosed. Grace, in turn, entered into matrimony with John Popham and held ownership of the manor throughout the years 1713 and 1728. Grace’s demise occurred in the year 1735; nonetheless, her husband continued to own the manor until 1746.
It may be inferred that he subsequently sold the estate to Thomas Holmes, who was later bestowed the title of Lord Holmes in 1760. Subsequently, the property was transferred to Mr. Thomas Webster, Q.C., by William Henry Ashe A’Court – Holmes in 1859. It is worth noting that Mr. Webster’s son, the current Lord Alverstone and the esteemed Lord Chief Justice of England, continues to possess the property to this day.