Ref Number: 00499
Ref Number: 00499
According to the Domesday Book, Afton Manor is documented as being owned by the Saxon Earl Tostig. Earl Tostig is known for his involvement in the battle of Stamford Bridge, when he fought with Viking King Harald “Hardrada” Sigurdsson and Eystein Orri.
According to the Domesday Book, Afton Manor was documented as being owned by the Saxon Earl Tostig. Earl Tostig is known for his involvement in the battle of Stamford Bridge, when he fought with Viking King Harald “Hardrada” Sigurdsson and Eystein Orri. The subsequent inhabitants of the property adopted the appellation of the De Affeton lineage. During the time of Edward III, ownership of the property had transitioned to the Brokenford family, and by the 16th century, it had come under the possession of the Bruen family.
Afton Manor was acquired by the Urry family in 1591 through its purchase by David Urry, the son of David of Thorley. Thomas, the sibling of David, subsequently constructed Sheat Manor. In 1779, David Urry of Afton passed away, seemingly without male heirs, and bequeathed his Manors, Messuages, Farms, Lands, Tenements, and Hereditaments to his daughters who were married to Sir John Oglander and Charles Holmes.
The construction of the current Manor House took place in the year 1700, under the ownership of David Urry and his spouse Ursula Cheeke. The structure, designed in the architectural style prevalent during the early Georgian period, is presently recognised as having significant historical value. Evidenced by the presence of blue plastic sheeting, the building has recently undergone major restoration work, resulting in a remarkably elevated level of quality. The architectural expansion that surpasses the original roof line in the posterior section of the dwelling was finalised during the latter part of the 19th century.