Ref Number: 00500
Ref Number: 00500
Adgestone, also known as Abedestone, Avicestone, and Auythestone in the 11th and 13th centuries, respectively, and Aucheston in the 15th century, was originally owned by three freemen as a free manor during the reign of King Edward the Confessor.
However, by the time of the Domesday survey, it had come under the ownership of the king. Two more properties known as Avicestone, which were owned by William son of Azor and Edric the king’s thegn in 1086, might perhaps be associated with Adgestone.
In the late 13th century, John de Weston possessed a fifty percent share of a fee under the ownership of John de Insula (Lisle) in the areas of Milton and Adgestone. Additionally, the proprietor of Whitefield held a fortieth of a fee in Adgestone, which was part of the Carisbrooke Castle estate.
In 1299, the ownership of the latter property was attributed to John de Witvil or Wyvill. Subsequently, it was transferred to Edward de Whitefield, and eventually came into the possession of William de Whitefield.
In the year 1384-1385, there is evidence of Anna Witvil or Wyvill’s possession of land located in Adgestone. Witvil has a similar lineage as Milton (according to the relevant source) until the year 1431, at which point it was possessed by individuals named John Haket and John Roucle, also known as Rookley. Following this, it appears that ownership of the property in Adgestone was transferred to the Bowermans, as evidenced by the fact that both Joan Bowerman and her grandson Nicholas passed away while still holding possession of the land. It is worth noting that the area in question was held under the jurisdiction of the Alverstone manor.
On the 8th of October 1510, Thomas Fitchett possessed land at Adgestone as part of the rental agreement for Alverstone Manor. As a gesture of feudal allegiance, Fitchett performed the act of homage at Alverstone. This implies that a section of Adgestone, most likely the western segment, had been assimilated by Alverstone.
During the year 1576, William Rogers possessed a parcel of property located in Adgestone, where he was obligated to attend the court of John Worsley in Bembridge.
During the mid-19th century, the ownership of Adgestone was held by Mr. E. Horlock, then acquired by a Mr. Edward Granville Ward.