Search Result
By Category
Show on Map
Specials
  • St James Clinic
    The St James Clinic dealing with all kinds of Cosmetic Restorative and Implant..
Tourism Ghosts and Spooky Things

Appuldurcombe House

REF NR: 3556

Today the house is just a shell, but still remains a magnificent example of an 18th Century Baroque style estate house, its build began in 1701 replacing the former Tudor style dwelling that resided on the plot at the time. Its position is beautifully set in the rolling downs and is altogether a formidable and impressive setting being the family seat of the Worsley family for over 300 years. Sir Robert Worsley began building the house in 1701 however it was to be another 70 years before his great nephew Sir Richard actually completed the task.

Sir Richard was also responsible for hiring the famous Capability Brown to landscape the surroundings, several monuments and gates were erected to give the estate an air of grandeur and elegance. Sir Richard died in 1805 and the house remained in its’ original state for another 100 years with hardly a change made by the incumbents, being that of 1st Baron of Yarborough and for a short time after his demise a Hotel and college for young gentlemen.

In the early 20th century for a short period the house became home for some Benedictine monks who had been forced to leave their accommodation in France. During both the World Wars the house became a billet for troops stationed on the Island awaiting onward passage.  In 1943 there was a night raid and it is believed a German Bomber flying home, jettisoned its load and a land mine exploded very close to the house causing considerable damage. Now there are ghostly goings on which include a phantom carriage, ghostly monks and dark shapes that have been spotted hovering through the grounds.

Contact Details

HELP