Search Result
By Category
Show on Map
Moment in time
  • Bembridge Airport
    Bembridge Airport opened in 1920 on land owned by Bembridge Farm and in 1921..
Sponsored
On the map

History Manor Houses of the Isle of Wight

Whitwell Manor

REF NR: 511

"The manor of WHITWELL does not appear by name in the Domesday Survey, but was probably included in the manor of Gatcombe held by William son of Stur, which three brothers had held before the Conquest, each having his aula. It certainly afterwards formed part of Gatcombe Manor, and was held by the Stur family, Maud widow of Walter de Lisle being in possession toward the end of the 13th century. In 1292 her son Sir William de Estur, kt., died seised of the manor, which had been settled as dower on his wife Agnes. Geoffrey de Lisle, brother and heir to Sir William de Estur, died before his sister-in-law, and the manor passed on her death in 1298–9 to Geoffrey's son Baldwin. From that date it followed the same descent as Gatcombe (q.v.) until the 16th century, when both manors were divided between the Poles and the Ernleys. Richard Ernley in 1564 sold his moiety of the manor to Richard Worsley, Governor of the Isle of Wight. It then passed with Appuldurcombe (q.v.) to Sir Richard Worsley, the first baronet of Appuldurcombe. Owing to a complete absence of any deeds after 1604 relating to this part of the manor it is difficult to decide how it descended after this time. It is not mentioned among the possessions of Sir Richard Worsley at his death in 1621, but Appuldurcombe, which he must then have held, is not mentioned either. He may have conveyed it to the Newmans, who held the other moiety, as at the beginning of the 18th century their estate is called 'the manor of Whitwell'; but as William Newman held only half the manor in 1639 it seems probable that the Worsleys retained their share and that it has remained in the family from that time to the present day.

"The Poles sold the manor to Richard Newman, who in 1596 divided it with Thomas the son of John Worsley, Newman taking the property east of the village street, Worsley taking that to the west. William Newman died seised of half the manor in 1639, being succeeded by his son Thomas. The Newmans held their moiety till 1709, when Thomas Newman (presumably the grandson of William) sold it to Sir Robert Worsley, bart. It thus became united with the other moiety of the manor, and the whole then followed the descent of Appuldurcombe (q.v.) until 1855. Whitwell was not sold by the Earl of Yarborough, but passed to his second son the Hon. E. C. Anderson-Pelham, to whose son Major Cecil Henry Anderson-Pelham it now belongs."

- Source: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=42074


Further local information is needed on this manor, so please get in touch if you can help.

HELP