Search Result
By Category
Show on Map
Moment in time
  • Bembridge Airport
    Bembridge Airport opened in 1920 on land owned by Bembridge Farm and in 1921..
Sponsored
On the map

History Manor Houses of the Isle of Wight

Stenbury Manor

REF NR: 442

"STENBURY (Staneberie, xi cent.; Stevenbir, xiii cent.; la Stenybury, xiv cent.) was held by Cheping of King Edward as a free manor and in 1086 belonged to the king. It is said by Worsley to have belonged to the de Aula family, but was held at the end of the century by John de Heyno of the honour of Carisbrooke. John died in 1295, leaving a son and heir William. Peter de Heyno was lord of Stenbury in the reign of Edward III and John de Heyno died in 1349 seised of the manor. William de Heyno, son of John, died in 1375, leaving a son and heir Guy, on whose death in 1405 his lands were granted to Anthony Ricz during the minority of his heir. This heir was evidently John de Heyno, who was in possession in 1428 and 1431. Thomas Heyno, who was pardoned for treason in 1451, died in 1505, leaving five daughters. The youngest, Grace, was an idiot, and the manor of Stenbury was divided among the other four sisters. The eldest, Mary, married William Pound, and her son Anthony died in 1547, leaving a son Richard, on whose death without issue his share seems to have passed to his sister Honora wife of Henry Radclyffe Earl of Sussex, and was sold by her son Robert to Thomas Worsley.

 

"Elizabeth, another of the daughters of Thomas Heyno, married William Stour and afterwards apparently Richard Dowce, as Richard and Elizabeth in 1533–4 conveyed their quarter to John Welbeck and others, who may perhaps have been trustees for Sir James Worsley. Agnes, the second daughter of Thomas Heyno, married Thomas Wyker or Wyer, and her share was sold in 1565 to John Worsley by Stephen Garrat, who had married the granddaughter of Thomas Wyer. The fourth co-heiress Katherine married John Pound and secondly William Leek. Her share also probably passed to the Worsleys.

 

"Richard Worsley at his death in 1565 held messuages and land in Stenbury and a tenement called Saindon, parcel of the manor, and his brother John Worsley held three quarters of the manor at the time of his death in 1580. The remaining quarter was acquired as stated above by Thomas Worsley son of John and the manor then descended with Appuldurcombe until it was sold by Lord Yarborough in the middle of the 19th century. It is now owned by Mr. John C. Tompkins."

- Source: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=42067&strquery=manor#s2

 

Further local information is needed on this manor, so please get in touch if you can help.

 

Images courtesy of John Cooper.

HELP