Search Result
By Category
Show on Map
Moment in time
On the map

History Manor Houses of the Isle of Wight

Morton Manor

REF NR: 425

"MORTON (La Morton, Mourton, xiii cent.) consists of a narrow strip of land stretching south from the foot of the down by Yarbridge to the north end of Sandown Manor (q.v.), once known as Appley, and comprises Morton Villa, the farm under the down and the farm on the Brading road. The identification of Morton with any Domesday holding can only be conjectural. The manor evidently formed part of the estate of the family of Aula, being held of Thomas de Aula's manor of Tothill in 1267–8, and subsequently of his descendants the Russells of Yaverland. Richard Malet of Hardingshute and Sandown appears to have been the tenant under these overlords, and he subinfeudated a messuage and a third of a carucate of land to Richard de Witvil or Wyvill. In 1267–8 difficulties arose between them as to which was liable for the service due to de Aula as chief lord. At the close of the century John Morin, Thomas Westbrook and John Wyvill were holding the estate in Morton of William Russell lord of Yaverland, and part afterwards seems to have passed to Thomas Aliners, who with others was in possession at the beginning of the 14th century. The Wyvills still retained their share, Thomas Wyvill and his coparceners holding the estate in 1346. In 1384–5 Richard Couper, one of the heirs of John Wyvill, released to Annora Wyvill, widow of John, all his right in land at Morton and elsewhere. Part seems to have lapsed to the overlords before 1428 when Henry Veer and Joan Russell held the half fee. This Joan Russell was probably the widow of Sir Maurice Russell (see under Yaverland), and on her death it probably reverted to the owners of Yaverland, and is evidently to be identified with the manor of Brading mentioned in conveyances of Yaverland in 1488. The manor, which is sometimes called the manor of Brading and sometimes land in Brading, then descended with the manor of Yaverland until 1846, when it was sold to Sir William Oglander. It is now owned by Mr. J. H. Oglander."

- Source:

Further local information is needed on this manor, so please get in touch if you can help.