Search Result
By Category
Show on Map
Moment in time
  • Bembridge Airport
    Bembridge Airport opened in 1920 on land owned by Bembridge Farm and in 1921..
Sponsored
On the map

History Castles and Fortifications

Fort Albert

REF NR: 2

1. It was built in 1856 to defend the western approach to Portsmouth, across the Solent from Hurst Castle. It was also known as Cliff End Fort, named after the far northern part of Colwell Bay (Cliff's End). It was suppose to have 29 guns in four teirs to act as part of Lord Palmerston's defences against Napoleon III.

At the moment, the fort is a private housing accommodation with very interesting outlooks onto the Solent. There is no access for the public, but you can look at the outside of it from the sea or from Hurst Castle.

1.Sources: Palmerstonforts Society

 

PDF's are reproduced with kind permission of the Palmerstonforts Society

 

2. External Forts images from Seawards side

 

2. Sources: Simplonpc

 

 

 

HELP