Search Result
By Category
Show on Map
Moment in time
  • Bembridge Airport
    Bembridge Airport opened in 1920 on land owned by Bembridge Farm and in 1921..
Sponsored
On the map

History Brannon Family Engravers

West Cowes (1857)

REF NR: 1881

The Print: West Cowes, 1857

 

Overall Image Information

This lovely print shows a busy seaward side with a small ketch with a mass of sail being flown heading inshore towards the mouth of the Medina. Onshore we see several "bathing machines" used by the Victorians to provide the genteel discretion that was seen to be required if taking to the waters.

 

To the far left we can see the Cow Fort with its original Castilians still in place. This was originally the West Cowes Fort built by King Henry VIII to guard against a French invasion. Latterly it has become The Royal Yacht Squadron - the most select sailing club in the world and the hub of Cowes Week activity.

 

The church in the background is Holy Trinity, built c1832.

 

HELP