Search Result
By Category
Show on Map
Moment in time
  • Golden Hill Fort
    The lovely yellow laburnum bushes growing on the hill gave the name to this..
On the map

History Aircraft Aerospace & Airfields

Shanklin Runway

REF NR: 355

A grass field at Apse Manor Farm was used from 1929 until 1934, principally by the Isle of Wight Flying Club (formed in 1930). However, it was also used by Wight Aviation Ltd (which later became Portsmouth Southsea and Isle of Wight Aviation Ltd or PSIOWA) who arrived from Maylands Aerodrome, Romford on 1st May 1930. In 1932 PSIOWA was operating Shanklin to Portsmouth services, using a Westland Wessex. The fare was 15 shillings single, £1-7-6d return.