Search Result
By Category
Show on Map
Moment in time
  • Bembridge Airport
    Bembridge Airport opened in 1920 on land owned by Bembridge Farm and in 1921..
On the map

History Minor Fortifications and Pillboxes

Culver Battery Pillbox

REF NR: 98

The Island was in full defensive swing in the lead up to and during the 2nd World War as it was seen as being in the forefront of the battle area. It was very likely if a German invasion was imminent for it to be one of the first places they would try and take in order for them to have a secure beach head and thus allowing them to launch their blitzkrieg method of advance easily into the mainland.

With this in mind the War Office devised several defence mechanisms and prepared points of special interest that in the event of an evasion could be used to slow down any advancing forces. One of these methods was the deployment of several pillboxes, carefully positioned throughout the Island.

Only one of the two pillboxes remains today, they were positioned slightly to the right of the battery. The one that remains today provides some cover to the sheep grazing and is on the north side of the Culver cliff track which winds down to the Whitefield Bay camp site.

Each pillbox had its own style of construction, and details of which can been had by following the link in the "Resources" tab..