This pub was originally opened around about the year of 1845 by a William Tarver who was a stonemason from South Street. It is known that he brewed beer at the back of the premises which was located in what was recognised as 'upper' or 'little' Cross Street.
The brewery was taken over some time later by Edward Sweetman Jnr, but was later closed, the pub survived. The pub still remained being a Brickwoods house for quite a number of years eventually passing to Whitbreads and then Ushers of Trowbridge the pub eventually closing in 1998.
Opened in 1845 Closed in 1998