Search Result
By Category
Show on Map
Moment in time
  • Ryde Airport
    Ryde Airport opened on 27th June 1932 on 823 acres purchased for the purpose..
Sponsored
On the map

History Manor Houses of the Isle of Wight

Appuldurcombe House

REF NR: 255

Today the house is just a shell, but still remains a magnificent example of an 18th Century Baroque style estate house, its build began in 1701 replacing the former Tudor style dwelling that resided on the plot at the time. Its position is beautifully set in the rolling downs and is altogether a formidable and impressive setting being the family seat of the Worsley family for over 300 years.  

Sir Robert Worlsey began building the house in 1701, however it was to be another 70 years before his great nephew Sir Richard actually completed the task. Sir Richard was also responsible for hiring the famous Capability Brown to landscape the surroundings, several monuments and gates were erected to give the estate an air of grandeur and elegance. 

 

 

Sir Richard died in 1805 and the house then remained in its original state for another 100 years with hardly a change made by the incumbents, being that of 1st Baron of Yarborough and for a shortime after hsi demise a Hotel and college for young gentlemen.  

In the early 20th century for a short period the house became home for some Benedictine monks who had been forced to leave their accommodation in France. During both the World Wars the house became a billet for troops station on the Island awaiting onward passage.  In 1943 there was a night raid and it is believed a German Bomber flying home, jettisoned its load and a land mine exploded very close to the house causing considerable damage.  

Timeline

  • 1701 saw the start of the building works overseen and financed by  Sir Robert Worsley, to replace the original Tudor house that he had inherited. 
  • 1701–  Started by Sir Robert Worsley
  • 1772 – completed by Sir Richard Worsley  (Died in 1805)
  • 1805 –1855 1st Baron Yarborough
  • 1860’s  –  Hotel (Unsuccessful)
  • 1890’s  –  College for young gentleman
  • 20th Century – Benedictine Monks fleeing France
  • World War 1 and II – Troop usage
  • 1943 – Substantial  damage by land mine dropped by German Bombers
  • 1952 –  Saved from complete demolition
  • Current –  on-going restoration programme to keep the aged “stately home”   look

 

 

The Ice House Appuldurcombe - Photo John Cooper

 

Heritage Trail

Appuldercombe House is now in private ownership and has been saved from demolition and development and is open to the public as a Heritage Site.

 

Dorothy Davies The King’s A-Coming to Appuldurcombe House! a fictional review.

 

HELP