The church dates from 1908 and is by the architect Isaac Jones. Tennyson's son, Hallam donated land for a new church in Freshwater Bay. Hallam's wife Audrey suggested that the church be named for St. Agnes. St. Agnes Church was consecrated August 12, 1908. It is the only thatched church on the Isle of Wight.
A very beautiful little thatched church well worth a visit as just up the road from Dimbola Lodge. In 1908 it was decided to build a church in Freshwater Bay and so make a Place of Worship for residents and visitors.