Search Result
By Category
Show on Map
Moment in time
  • Nab Tower
    This light is responsible for guiding ships of all sizes and nationalities..
Sponsored
On the map

History Ferries and Ships

PS Ryde Queen

REF NR: 531

The ship was commissioned by Southern Railway in 1936 as a sister ship to PS Sandown. It cost £46,000 and was built by William Denny & Brothers in Dumbarton on Clydeside. Following her launch on 23rd April 1937, she replaced the PS Duchess of Norfolk on the Portsmouth to Ryde Pier passenger ferry service.

 

Originally called PS Ryde and now known as Ryde Queen - it was the last paddler on the Solent crossing from Portsmouth to the Isle of Wight. She was withdrawn in 1969. Various attempts to purchase her since have failed. She now lies in poor condition, rendering her a safety hazard and as a result it's likely she will be scrapped. The owners have indicated that the engines, although put up for sale, will be kept in tact.

 

It's fondly remembered by locals as serving as both a Solent ferry and a nightclub and has been a familiar sight since taking up residence at Binfield Marina in the early 1970s. However since ceasing to operate in any capacity, it has been neglected - damaged by English weather and souvenir hunters, which has left her as little more than a derelict rusting hulk.

A John H Worsley Production
HELP