1 Yaverland battery initial build began in 1861 with a deployment for a costal defence battery serving 7-inch R.B.L. guns enclosed with a loopholed Carnot wall and a ditch with musketry caponiers. The accommodation was to service two officers and a compliment of 57 men. By 1879 the 7-inch RB:s were replaced with 64pr RMLs and again in 1887 two 64pr were removed to allow a transverse gunnery position to cover and prevent ships from enfilading the battery from the Culver Cliff perspective.
During the1890’s two 6-inch guns were fitted and in the late 1890’s a further re armament was undertaken to take 6-inch B.L. mark VII guns which will be assisted by two search lights one at the east end of the battery and the other on Sandown Fort. In 1910 one of the 6-inch gins was declared as a reserve gun and was eventually moved inn1915 to Inchkeith Island in the Firth of Forth. Between 1914 and 1915 various additional buildings were added to the then current set, in the 1920’s two additional searchlights at water level were fitted for night practice In 1932 in was thought the life of the battery had come to an end and the guns scheduled for withdrawal and the battery reduced to practice status only.
During the 2nd World War, the battery was used for Home Guard and coastal defence , however in 1943 two 6-inch Mark VII guns were put in thereby reactivated to be that of a proper battery. In 1951 two 3.7inch AA guns were also used for coastal artillery practice.
In 1956 the site was de commissioned and sold into private ownership, much of the battery was demolished but certain parts still remain today. However, the site is in private hands and anyone visiting must obtain permission before reviewing
1. Sources: PDF's are reproduced with kind permission of the Palmerstonforts Society
2. Sources: Further pictorial information, maps and videos can be found at the Undergroundkent website which has a wealth of interesting points.